Access to New Commissions artists through studio visits, as requested
You can also make your tax-deductible membership contribution online below.
COMMISSIONERS’ CIRCLE LEVELS
ABOUT ART IN GENERAL’S NEW COMMISSIONS PROGRAM
Since its launch in 2005, the New Commissions Program has formed the core of Art in General’s programming, and was designed in direct response to feedback from artists who expressed a need for more in-depth support for the production of new work. Art in General gives selected artists the opportunity to create and present new work by providing them with a high level of organizational and conceptual support including artist fees, production fees, exhibition space, a solo exhibition, promotion, and opportunities to engage with audiences through free online and public programs.
ART IN GENERAL NEW COMMISSIONS ARTISTS
Sharon Hayes, Melissa Martin, Lee Walton, Alejandro Cesarco, Xaviera Simmons, Jihyun Park, Adam Simon, eteam, Ayreen Anastas & Rene Gabri, Alejandro Almanza Pereda, Melanie Crean, Andrea Geyer, Bernadette Corporation, Judi Werthein, Fawn Krieger, Little & Fergason, Chris Moukarbel, Carlos Motta, Carla Herrera-Prats, Jan Baracz, Dave Hardy, Josh Melnick, Julia Oldham, Guy Benfield, Chuck Yatsuck & Justin Rancourt, Shana Moulton, Kambui Olujimi, Redmond Entwistle, Isola & Norzi, Ohad Meromi, Brendan Fernandes, Jason Bailer Losh, AUDiNT, Zefrey Throwell, Mounira Al Solh, Rob Carter, Katrin Sigurdardottir, robbinschilds, Mounira Al Solh, Christopher Duffy, Kimberlee Venable, Anetta Mona Chişa & Lucia Tkáčová, Meriç Algün Ringborg, Letha Wilson, Ola Vasiljeva, The Still House Group, Alex Ito, Lisa Oppenheim & Lisa Tan, Jill Magid, Halsey Rodman, Lisi Raskin, Mika Tajima, Daphne Fitzpatrick, Zachary Fabri, Basim Magdy, Lea Cetera, Marwa Arsanios, Matt Lips, Halmos, Andrea Galvani, Lior Shvil, Nino Chubinishvili (Chubika), Alison O’Daniel.
Former New Commissions artists have gone on to receive additional exhibition opportunities and much critical acclaim, including the following:
- New Commissions artist Marwa Arsanios‘s exhibition at Art in General was named by The Guardian named the by as “one of the best American art shows of 2015”.
- New Commissions artist Lior Shvil’s performances and installations at Art in General was praised as “powerful and dizzying” by the Performa Magazine.
- “What Now?” symposium keynote speaker Lawrence Abu Hamdan (#1) and International Collaborations artist, Donna Huanca (#19) were in the top 20 of Artnet News’ list “The 50 Most Exciting Artists in Europe Today”.
- New Commissions artist Basim Magdy was announced as Deutsche Bank’s 2016 Artist of the Year, and he is currently on view in Ocean of Images: New Photography 2015 exhibition at MoMA through March 20, 2016.
- New Commissions artist Jill Magid was appointed one of the 2013-2015 Vera List Center Fellows.
- New Commissions artist Meriç Algün Ringborg was featured in the 14th Istanbul Biennial in Fall 2015.
- New Commissions artist Mounira Al Solh participated in the 56th Venice Biennale, 2016.
- New Commissions artist Brendan Fernandes is featured in the Huffington Post’s list of “17 Visual Artists You Should Know In 2016”.
- New Commissions artist Emily Roysdon was shortlisted for The Future Generation Art Prize, Venice, 2013.
- New Commissions artists Sharon Hayes and Emily Roysdon were featured in the 2010 Whitney Biennial.
- New Commissions artist Carlos Motta was named a Guggenheim fellow. He was also 2014 co-winner of the global Future Generation Art Prize, established by the Victor Pinchuk Foundation.
- New Commissions artistsAyreen Anastas and Rene Gabri were agents of dODCUMENTA (13).
- New Commissions artist Alejandro Cesarco was granted the prestigious Rolex Award, thus receiving a mentorship with John Baldessari. He also represented Uruguay at the 54th Venice Biennale in 2011.
- New Commissions artist Sharon Hayes had a solo exhibition, There’s So Much I Want to Say to You, at the Whitney Museum in 2012 and received The Alpert Award in 2013.